What are mosquitoes?
Mosquitoes are flying insects that absorb water and nectar from plants. Many also rely on human and animal blood to survive. More than 3,500 species are on the planet. The four stages of their life cycle are egg, larva, pupa, and adult. Adult mosquitoes will live for two to four weeks, depending on the environmental conditions. These outdoor insects spend time in areas like marshes and forests.
Are mosquitoes dangerous?
Typically, mosquitoes will cause localized swelling and itching with their bites. However, many are vectors that can communicate pathogens. These insects can spread malaria, West Nile virus, Zika virus, and dengue. Some major symptoms are chills, fever, and muscle pain. Experts consider mosquitoes to be some of the most dangerous pests on earth.
Why do I have a mosquito problem?
Greenery and standing pools are highly attractive to mosquitoes. The average yard in Oklahoma City will have problems with these insects. Having a woody location or a body of water nearby doesn't help.
Where will I find mosquitoes?
These flying pests range from 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch long. Scales are on their wings, but they also cover their skin. While their noses are rather pronounced and long, their legs are very thin. When indoors, mosquitoes will land in a dark, quiet space and may have a source of moisture, for example, closets, laundry rooms, and basements. In their natural habitat, they tend to hover around bushes, the top of trees, and gutters or storm drains.
When are mosquitoes most active?
Late spring to early fall is when mosquitoes are most dominant in the region. However, these critters are persistent with being around all year.
Interesting facts about mosquitoes
Below are some things you may not know about mosquitoes:
- Mosquitoes fly short distances of 100-200 feet only.
- Scientists say there is historical evidence of mosquitoes that dates back to the Triassic period, millions of years ago.
- Only female mosquitoes drink blood; it assists their egg production.
How do I get rid of mosquitoes?
Over-the-counter insecticides and "do it yourself" tactics are not the best way to handle mosquitoes. They can be incredibly expensive and might be hazardous to use because of their confusing instructions and ingredients. Second, most are fashioned for temporary use to address surface issues.
The more wallet-friendly, effective, and safe option is to contact us at Epoch Pest Solutions. We have treatments that are gentle on the environment and won't harm humans, domestic animals, or vegetation. A few of our approaches are lawn applications, perimeter barriers, dusts, and more. We can back your preventative efforts or eradicate current populations. Call us today for more information about our home pest control and commercial pest control options!
How can I prevent mosquitoes in the future?
Independent methods for mosquitoes have a lot of shortcomings, but that doesn't mean property owners in Idaho Falls are powerless against these bugs. With enhancements to your lawn maintenance, you can make your land far less alluring to mosquitoes. There are also suggestions regarding personal choices:
- Light candles that have essential oils properties.
- Set up mosquito traps around the lawn. Don't forget to clean them frequently.
- Get rid of standing water. Draining or recirculating birdbaths and dumping stagnant pet drinking bowls is a start.
- Mow the lawn and trim greenery regularly.
- Flush out your gutters on a routine basis.
- Go indoors when the sun sets; mosquitoes are busy at dusk.
- Avoid wearing dark colors, like black and blue; mosquitoes can see the dim shades better than lighter ones.
- Try not to have alcoholic beverages. The content can seep through your pores and magnetize these bugs.
No matter the scenario, Epoch Pest Solutions will be ready to give you what you need. Mosquitoes don't have to be an obstacle for you to enjoy your yard. Contact us now for mosquito control in Oklahoma City!